Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media, Germany
- Ph.D. in Ethnomusicology, 2007
University of Cologne, Germany
- M.A. in Musicology, African Studies and Social Anthropology, 2004
University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Associate Professor, 2016–present
- Head, Department of Music and Dance, 2014–present
- Senior Lecturer, 2012–2016
- Lecturer, 2009–2012
Center for World Music, University of Hildesheim, Germany
- Visiting Scholar, 2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow / Project Coordinator, 2009–2012
School of Performing Arts, University of Ghana, Legon
- Visiting Scholar, 2006–2007
Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media, Germany
- Research Fellow, 2004–2007
COURSES RECENTLY TAUGHT
- Music, Dance and Society
- Music Technology
- Music in World Cultures
- History of Western Art Music Styles
- African Music in the Diaspora
- Research Methods
- Theory and Methodology in Musicology
- Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- Urban Ethnomusicology
- Research Seminar in Ethnomusicology
Monographs & Edited Volumes
- Carl, Florian & Eric D. Otchere (eds.). 2016. Music, Health and Wellbeing: African Perspectives. Special Issue of the Legon Journal of the Humanities (vol. 27, no. 2). Legon: College of Humanities, University of Ghana.
- Carl, Florian. 2009. Berlin/Accra. Music, Travel, and the Production of Space. Münster: LIT.
- Carl, Florian. 2004. Was bedeutet uns Afrika? Zur Darstellung afrikanischer Musik im deutschsprachigen Diskurs des 19. und frühen 20. Jahrhunderts. Münster: LIT.
Articles & Book Chapters
- Carl, Florian. 2017. “Worshipping in my head”: Everyday Devotional Practices and Disciplines of Listening Among Ghanaian Christians. Ghana Studies 20:45-69.
- Carl, Florian & Rosemond Kutsidzo. 2016. Music and Wellbeing in Everyday Life in Ghana: An Exploratory Study. Legon Journal of the Humanities 27(2):29-46.
- Carl, Florian & John W. Dankwa. 2016. Dagaaba Xylophone: Daga-Gyil Making in Ghana. Documentary film (DVD). (Museum Collection Berlin Audiovisuell, vol. 8, edited by Lars-Christian Koch). Berlin: Ethnologisches Museum, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin.
- Carl, Florian. 2015. “Obiaa pɛ sɛ ɔkɔ international”: Negotiating the Local and the Global in Ghanaian Hiplife Music. In Speaking in Tongues: Pop lokal global, edited by Dietrich Helms & Thomas Phlebs, 33-44. Bielefeld: Transcript-Verlag.
- Carl, Florian. 2015. Music, Ritual, and Media in Charismatic Religious Experience in Ghana. In Congregational Music-Making and Community in a Mediated Age, edited by Thomas Wagner & Anna Nekola, 45-60. Farnham: Ashgate.
- Carl, Florian. 2014. The Ritualization of the Self in Ghanaian Gospel Music. Ghana Studies 17:101-129.
- Carl, Florian. 2014. From Burger Highlife to Gospel Highlife: Music, Migration, and the Ghanaian Diaspora. In The Globalization of Musics in Transit: Music Migration and Tourism (Routledge Studies in Ethnomusicology Series), edited by Simone Krüger & Ruxandra Trandafoiu, 251-271. New York: Routledge.
- Carl, Florian. 2011. The Representation and Performance of African Music in German Popular Culture. Yearbook for Traditional Music 43:198-223.
SELECTED PAPERS PRESENTED AT SEMINARS & CONFERENCES
- “But this is not gospel!”: Popular Music, Faith, and Identity in Ghana’s New Christianity. Paper presented at the 44th World Conference of the International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM), Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick, Ireland, Jul. 13-19, 2017
- African “algoRhythms”: Indigenous Music, Computational Modeling, and Electronic Composition. Paper presented at the Departmental Seminar, Department of Music & Dance, University of Cape Coast, Apr. 12, 2017
- Creative Coding, Sound Design and Electronic Music Composition: Bridging the Gap Between Science and the Arts. Lecture Demonstration given at the Faculty of Arts Public Lecture Series, University of Cape Coast, Ghana, Sep. 30, 2016
- Gospel Music and the “Charismatization” of Christian Worship in Ghana. Paper presented at the 60th Annual Meeting of the Society for Ethnomusicology (SEM), Austin, TX, USA, Dec. 3-6, 2015
- The Role of Worship Music in Everyday Life Among Ghanaian Christians. Paper presented at the international conference Christian Congregational Music: Local and Global Perspectives, Ripon College Cuddesdon, Oxford, UK, Aug. 4-7, 2015
- Music, Mediation, and Ritual Improvisation in a Ghanaian Charismatic Church. Paper presented at the 59th Annual Meeting of the Society of Ethnomusicology (SEM), Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Nov. 13-16, 2014
- Music and the Ghanaian Diaspora: Transnational Trajectories and Cultural Identity. Paper presented at the international conference Revisiting the First International Congress of Africanists in a Globalised World, Institute of African Studies, University of Ghana, Legon, Oct. 24-26, 2013
- Gospel Music and the Charismatic Experience in Ghana. Paper presented at the international conference Christian Congregational Music: Local and Global Perspectives, Ripon College Cuddesdon, Oxford, UK, Aug. 1-3, 2013.
AWARDS, GRANTS & FELLOWSHIPS
- Best Evolved Researcher Award, University of Cape Coast, 2018
- Policy and Practice Research Support Grant, University of Cape Coast, 2018
- Visiting Scholar Fellowship, University of Hildesheim/German Academic Exchange Service, 2017
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Hildesheim/Volkswagen Foundation, 2009–2012
- Doctoral Fellowship, Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media/Volkswagen Foundation, 2004–2007
- Best Master’s Thesis Award, University of Cologne, 2004
- Graduate Student Fellowship, University of Chicago/German Academic Exchange Service, 2001–2002
- Chair, Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Committee, University of Cape Coast, 2018-present
- Member, Board of Directors, DAAD-SDG Graduate School Performing Sustainability: Cultures and Development in West Africa, 2016–present
- Member, Editorial Board, Faculty of Arts, University of Cape Coast, 2016–present
- Patron, German Club, University of Cape Coast, 2014–present
- Member, Appointments & Promotion Committee, Faculty of Arts, University of Cape Coast, 2014–present
- Member, College of Humanities and Legal Studies Board, 2014–present
- Member, Faculty of Arts Board, University of Cape Coast, 2014–present
- Faculty Examination Officer, Faculty of Arts, University of Cape Coast, 2013–2014
- Member, Board of the School of Graduate Studies, University of Cape Coast, 2012–2015
- Departmental Examination Officer, Department of Music and Dance, University of Cape Coast, 2010–2014
- Academic Counselor, Department of Music and Dance, University of Cape Coast, 2010–present
- Society for Ethnomusicology
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music
- International Council for Traditional Music
- Ghana Studies Association
- University Teachers’ Association of Ghana